This module is intended to familiarize the student with the most important aspects of the PLC's central processing unit with a focus on the ControlLogix processor. Topics covered in the module include memory devices, memory storage, and data processing as well as an introduction to tag-based memory. In addition to covering memory utilization and protection, the module also provides detailed information on multiprocessing and PLC scan functions.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Explain the difference between a CPU and a MPU.
- Name the four basic functions of a CPU.
- Differentiate between volatile and nonvolatile memory.
- Define "flash memory".
- Describe the main purpose of the scan cycle in a PLC.
- Name two types of PLC memory protection.
- List the major features of Controllogix controllers.