The purpose of this module is to provide the student with a thorough understanding of the various aspects of process control and its application to PLC systems. In addition to open-loop and closed-loop systems, the module also covers advanced closed loop techniques including PID control. Analog I/O devices are presented in detail and tuning parameters for PID control systems is demonstrated through practical examples.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Define the terms process, process variable, and controlled variable.
- Name four applications for control systems.
- Explain the advantage of using block diagrams.
- Describe the function of the setpoint, error signal, and measured value.
- Differentiate between open-loop control and closed-loop control.
- List the five basic components in a closed-loop control system.
- Name the four variables associated with closed-loop control systems.
- Define dead time.
- Explain the basic operating principles of On-Off and PID control.
- Describe the purpose of feedforward control in process systems.
- Define the terms algorithm and flowchart.
- Explain the basic principle of fuzzy logic.